Sunday, July 11, 2010

MRI of both feet

On June 4th (Friday), Luke and I went to get an MRI of both feet. At this point, Luke had gone through so much over the last 2 weeks. We spent almost 9 hours there. Joyce was working until 10pm that day. The radiologist seemed to be concerned. "It doesn't look like an infection". "It could be a trauma....but even still, not likely". "Luke's bone marrow looks odd." "I'd expect more fat in his marrow". "I took a look at another 2 year old's bone marrow pictures, and Luke's looks different."

At the 8th hour, the radiologist told me "I can't seem to be able to contact your pediatrician or the covering physician. I think you should go to the ER. There's somthing about that bone marrow...". He asked me, "what do you think?" I said, "I think we'll go home".

What was on my mind? I had a real feeling that Luke would need to be admitted, and may be in the hospital for a while. In my mind, I wanted one more night for me, Joyce, and Luke to be together, in love and peace, in our home. The next day would have us in the ER eventually.

Here's Luke, less than thrilled, to be in the hospital, again:

Luke seemed to find security in being in his stroller. We actually hadn't used that stroller in a while, but we believe that it offered him some security because it was so bulky.

Luke sitting watching TV, waiting for his MRI. He had to have anesthesia for the first time in his life. He was so upset to be at the hospital. On top of that, the nurses failed 2 times to get an IV started on him, so they had to use gas to put him to sleep. As I recall that moment, our poor child struggled, screaming "Mommy!" and "Daddy!", then slowly passed out. I left him on the stretcher as they took him into the MRI. It was one of the most helpless moments I have ever felt. Leaving our child. Not knowing what was going on. The 30-minute MRI seemed to take twice as long. A friend of mine, who set up the MRI, and used to work there, stopped by to see how things were. She went back to the MRI area to see what was taking so long. They told her the MRI machine crashed, and needed to be rebooted. With ever creak of that door opening, my heart skipped a beat, as I waited to hear about Luke, and see him in recovery.

After the MRI and recovery:

No comments:

Post a Comment